Statistics from the Oral Health Foundation show that more than a third of UK adults use Interdental brushes. Several studies have proved that they are one of the most reliable ways of effectively reducing plaque buildup and significantly improving gum health.
The bristles of interdental brushes are designed to access hard-to-reach areas, making them a valuable addition to any oral care routine. With their ability to enhance plaque removal, promote gum health, prevent dental caries, and contribute to the management of periodontal disease, interdental brushes have proven to be valuable tools in maintaining optimal oral health.
Here’s a short guide to all things interdental!
Why do we need interdental brushes?
No matter how amazing your toothbrush is, it’s just not designed to reach those interdental spaces.
Interdental brushing helps:
- Enhanced plaque removal and gum health,
- Prevention of dental caries
- Significant impact on periodontal disease
Finding the Right Interdental Brush Size:
Finding the right interdental brush size is crucial for effective cleaning and comfort. The appropriate brush size ensures comfort and ease of use during interdental cleaning.
Interdental spaces vary from person to person and even within an individual's mouth. Some areas may have larger gaps, while others may have tighter spaces.
Having a range of brush sizes allows individuals to find a size that fits their unique interdental spaces for optimal cleaning.
Here are a few steps to help you determine the appropriate size:
- Evaluate Your Interdental Space: Use a dental mirror or consult with your dentist to assess the size of the spaces between your teeth. Interdental spaces can vary throughout the mouth, so it's essential to assess each area individually.
- Try Different Sizes: Purchase a variety pack of interdental brushes that includes multiple sizes. Start with the smallest size and test it in a few interdental spaces. If it fits snugly without excessive force or discomfort, it's the right size. If it feels too tight or doesn't fit at all, try a larger size. Repeat this process until you find the size that fits comfortably in each interdental space.
- Seek Professional Guidance: If you're unsure about the right interdental brush size, consult with your dentist or dental hygienist. They can assess your oral health and recommend the appropriate size based on your specific needs.
What are the different interdental brush sizes?
Interdental brushes come in various sizes to accommodate the different sizes of interdental spaces between teeth. The sizes are typically categorised using a numerical or colour-coded system.
Using an interdental brush that matches the size of the interdental space ensures better cleaning and comfort. If the brush is too small, it may not adequately clean the space, while a brush that is too large may cause discomfort or damage to the gums.
Although sizes may vary between brands, this is typically what you expect to identify different interdental brushes. Below is a guide to F.E.T.E bamboo interdental brushes
- Size 0 (0.4 mm): These brushes are suitable for very narrow or tight interdental spaces. They are often recommended for individuals with tight contacts between their teeth or those who have recently undergone orthodontic treatment.
- Size 1 (0.45mm): Small-sized interdental brushes are ideal for individuals with moderately narrow interdental spaces. They provide a bit more flexibility while still effectively cleaning between the teeth.
- Size 2 (0.5): Medium-sized interdental brushes are suitable for average-sized interdental spaces. They offer a good balance between cleaning effectiveness and comfort.
- Size 3 (0.6): Large-sized interdental brushes are designed for individuals with wider interdental spaces. They provide a more substantial cleaning action while still being gentle on the gums.
- Size 4 (0.7): Extra large for where gaps are much wider than usual. Whilst some people are going to be suited to these, they may feel uncomfortable to use if the interdental spaces are small.
Interdental Brush bundle
We know the importance of good oral health. It’s intrinsically linked to your overall health and mental health. Try all the interdental brush sizes with our bundle.
Noorlin I, Watts TL, A Comparison of the Efficacy and Ease of Use of Dental Floss and Interproximal Brushes in a Randomised Split Mouth Trial Incorporating an Assessment of Subgingival Plaque. Oral Health Prev Dent 2007.
They / Them
Lex is a passionate and experienced copywriter with 5 years of experience in the oral care industry.
In addition to their work as a copywriter, Lex is an outspoken advocate for inclusion in wellness and self-care. Their own personal story - that of being a mother to an autistic son - has inspired their commitment to providing tailored solutions for all customers.
Aloe Vera is their favourite ingredient, and the Peppermint & Wintergreen Truthpaste is their go-to for keeping healthy teeth and gums.